Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Borders










Last summer I was fortunate to join the Zinman Institute of Archaeology on their 9th season of excavations at Sussita/Hippos
http://hippos.haifa.ac.il/
Hippos was built on a flat-topped foothill of the Golan Plateau 350 meters above sea level and 2 kilometers east of the Sea of Galilee, near modernKibbutz Ein Gev. The site is just on the Israeli side of the 1949 UN-demarcated border between Syria and Israel.
Since my travel to Israel, I have spent more time researching the history of this area as well as the current political climate.

Barbed wire began to be widely used as an implement of war during World War I. Wire was placed either to keep a soldier confined or impede his movement forward. The human body moving against barbed wire can result in moderate to severe injuries to the skin.
I brought home a piece of barbed wire and began a series of paintings. I plan to hang these panels in a space, enclosing the room at mid length with the "barb wire". The paintings a quiet observation, reflecting on the object having been cut, it's purpose no longer needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment