Monday, October 18, 2010

Wye Oak and Being Humbled
















(sold)
















(sold)

The Wye Oak was the honorary state tree of Maryland, and the largest white oak tree in the United States. The Wye Oak was believed to be over 460 years old at the time of its destruction during a severe thunderstorm on June 6, 2002.
It is believed that the acorn that became the oak germinated around the year 1540.
My friend and fellow painter,Charles Sheely, gave me a branch, clipped from a 10 year old sapling of this great old tree. This is the first year his tree has produced acorns.
I quickly jumped into painting the branch, sitting for hours trying to mix the right green, trying to create depth in the leaves. My first attempt failed miserably. Nature once again has kicked me in the ass, and made me question the mystery of observational painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment